St. John's Courtyard Garden - GOR-154271-18
St. John’s in the Village Episcopal Church courtyard garden at 224 Waverly Place, NYC.
History of the church:
The Rev’d Lloyd Prator, Rector) was founded in 1853. Fire destroyed the original classical revival style church building in 1972. Edgar Tafel, a colleague of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed the current church sanctuary. In the 1800’s, St. John’s in the Village led the way in New York City toward “free” pews. In the 1900’s, St. John’s in the Village led the way in New York City toward open inclusion of Gays and Lesbians in the worshiping community.
The church currently reaches out to the West Village community through excellent fine arts initiatives and special ministries to persons living with AIDS.